Indiana Truck Accident Lawyers
Did you get hurt in a truck accident in Indiana? Are you interested in seeking legal representation? Then you should contact the Indiana truck accident lawyers from Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers immediately. We have a legal team experienced in handling cases just like yours.
When you hire us, we will dedicate our time and resources to fighting for the maximum compensation available. We believe our clients should receive fair treatment and full compensation for their suffering. It’s unfair to be held financially responsible because of another person’s poor decisions. We’ll work hard to ensure that doesn’t happen to you.
Our dedicated, award-winning Indiana attorneys will handle each step of the process for you and help you get back on your feet. Call us today at (219) 286-7361 to set up a free consultation so you can learn about your legal rights and options.
Trucks Come in Many Shapes and Sizes
Commercial vehicles are everywhere. Whenever you travel down the roadways, it’s impossible not to pass a large truck. Most of them are transporting cargo across the state or to other areas of the country. They’re large, long, and weigh tens of thousands of pounds.
When a small vehicle collides with a commercial truck, the person in the passenger car usually ends up with serious injuries. Going up against an 80,000-pound vehicle can easily result in fatalities. Not only do you have to worry about the initial impact, but you also have to worry about the impact of any cargo that falls off the truck.
Some of the commercial vehicles you could come in contact with on the road include:
- Big rigs
- Cargo trucks
- Garbage Trucks
- Fuel trucks
- Delivery vans
- Fire trucks and EMS trucks
Our attorneys have experience handling cases involving a wide range of commercial vehicles, and we’re well aware of the damages that can result from accidents with these vehicles.
The Main Reason for Pursuing a Truck Accident Case: Negligence
In most truck accidents in Indiana, negligence is the cause. When someone is negligent, they behave in a way that puts other people in danger. Every driver on the road must obey the laws and make sure the motorists around them are safe from physical harm. When someone’s actions are reckless and create a hazardous situation, that’s when negligence occurs.
Our Indiana truck accident lawyers often handle cases involving the following acts of negligence:
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Reckless driving
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Unsecured cargo
- Inadequately repaired or maintained truck
- Poorly trained truckers
Our team will thoroughly investigate your accident to determine its cause and to prove fault in your case.
Truck Driver Negligence vs. Trucking Company Negligence
There’s a difference between a trucker’s negligence and their employer’s negligence. In some situations, it’s clear that the driver is to blame, while other scenarios may indicate the trucking company as the culprit of the accident.
To determine who you can hold financially responsible, you should hire an Indiana truck accident lawyer from Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers. We have extensive experience investigating the facts of a case to determine which party or parties may be responsible for your accident. There are multiple reasons why one party could hold some or all of the blame for your injuries.
When the truck driver is negligent, it’s because they failed to live up to the standard of using reasonable care while driving. That means failing to drive safely by driving while fatigued, drinking and driving, texting on their phone, or breaking traffic laws.
The trucking company will be considered negligent if you find out they didn’t perform thorough background checks on the truck driver involved in the accident. They could also be negligent for not providing training to their employees or failing to follow state and federal regulations.
A Truck Driver Hit You – Now What?
If you were the victim of a truck accident, contact an Indiana truck accident lawyer from Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers immediately. The sooner we perform an investigation, the easier it will be to recover evidence.
Evidence can be anything from physical documentation of the crash, such as the police report, to witness statements. Over time, evidence can get lost, destroyed, or forgotten about. If you retain a law firm the day you sustain an injury, we’ll have a better chance of obtaining all the evidence available.
When we take on your case, we’ll be sure to collect the following evidence we need to prove your claim:
- Police reports
- Photos of the accident scene
- Photos of your car and the commercial truck
- Statements from people who witnessed the crash
- The trucker’s driving records and driving logs
- The truck’s load manifest and maintenance records
- Insurance policies from the truck driver, their employer, and your auto insurance carrier
- Your medical records and billing statements
- Prescriptions, receipts, and out of pocket expenses related to your treatment
- Video surveillance of the collision
We’ll work meticulously to gather all the evidence available in your case, and will use legal recourse to secure evidence needed from the trucking company, such the driving logs and load manifests.
Your Indiana Truck Accident Lawyer Is On Your Side
After you get injured in a truck accident, you shouldn’t speak to anyone other than your lawyer. If you decide to file an insurance claim on your own, don’t provide any unnecessary information to the insurance adjuster. Whether you decide to seek representation or not, there are several dos and don’ts you should keep in mind.
- Do seek medical treatment for your injuries
- Do file an insurance claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company
- Do cooperate with law enforcement that responds to the crash site
- Do take pictures of the scene, vehicles, and your injuries
- Do write down the names and phone numbers of witnesses
- Do take your car in for a property damage valuation
- Do hire an Indiana truck accident lawyer from Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers
- Don’t move your vehicle after an accident, unless it’s necessary for safety
- Don’t admit fault for the collision to anyone, especially not to the investigating officer
- Don’t sign anything from the insurance carrier until consulting with a lawyer first
- Don’t dispose of any potential evidence, such as torn clothing or damaged personal items in your vehicle
- Don’t leave the scene of the crash until the police tell you to do so
- Don’t agree to the terms of an insurance settlement without assistance from an experienced lawyer
Seeking Justice after a Truck Accident in Indiana
At Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers, we know how important it is to pursue justice and make sure the at-fault trucker pays for the consequences of their actions. We believe in fighting for full and fair compensation for our clients. When you hire one of our Indiana truck accident lawyers, we will help you navigate the complex legal system.
When your case involves negligence, you need to ensure the following five elements existed at the time of the accident:
- The defendant owed you a duty;
- The defendant breached that duty;
- If not for the defendant’s actions, you wouldn’t have sustained an injury;
- The defendant’s action or inaction was the proximate cause of your injury, and they should have foreseen this happening; and
- You incurred damages.
The damages available in Indiana after a truck accident may include the following economic and non-economic losses:
- Medical costs, past and future
- Past loss of income and future lost wages
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Vehicle repair or replacement
- Emotional or psychological trauma
- Physical pain and suffering
What If There Was a Fatality?
When the victim of a truck accident dies as a result of their injury, immediate family members can seek compensation for their damages. A wrongful death case is a situation in which someone’s wrongful act caused the death of another person.
Since the individual who passed away isn’t able to pursue a lawsuit, their loved ones can. Usually, the personal representative of the deceased’s estate is the person who can claim damages and collect a financial award. However, they can also represent the interests of the surviving spouse, children, or dependents.
The damages available in a wrongful death case include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Medical and hospital expenses
- Lost wages and benefits the victim would earn if they were still alive
- Costs of pursuing a wrongful death suit
Indiana law places a two-year statute of limitations on wrongful death cases. That means you have to sue the at-fault trucker or trucking company for your loved one’s death within two years from the date they died if you want to recover compensation.
Schedule Your Free Consultation
We offer free consultations for those interested in speaking with an experienced Indiana truck accident lawyer about their case. If you suffered an injury in a truck accident and want to seek legal advice, you should contact Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers.
We believe victims of accidents deserve legal representation and the opportunity to pursue the monetary award they deserve to pay for their expenses. You shouldn’t have to pay for the mistake someone else made.
Injured in a Truck Accident? Call Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers
We know you’re in pain, out of work, and struggling to pay your medical bills. A truck accident can upend anyone’s life and create an overwhelming situation that’s difficult to deal with. When you’re facing the financial burden of recovering after an accident, the last thing you want to do is pay for a lawyer to help.
At Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers, we want to ease your load and hold those responsible for your injuries. We will take your case on contingency, so you don’t have to pay any upfront fees or costs. That means we won’t get paid unless there’s a settlement or favorable jury verdict at the end of your case. If we’re unable to win your case, you won’t owe us any money.
Call (219) 286-7361 to schedule your free consultation with one of our Indiana truck accident lawyers.