Drivers have a general responsibility to act safely on the roads. If an uninsured driver acted negligently and caused your accident, you should not have to pay for the resulting expenses.
With the help of an experienced attorney, you could receive compensation that will pay for your injuries and damages, allowing you to move forward with your life.
The skilled car accident attorneys at Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers are ready to tackle your case and maximize your chances at earning full compensation. We know how to deal with stubborn insurance companies, and we’ll use our extensive knowledge of insurance policies to fight for your rights. We are also ready to explore other routes to compensation.
If you find yourself facing the aftermath of an accident with an uninsured driver, it is important to get in touch with an attorney. We can help you understand your options for recovery, even if you feel uncertain what your next steps should be. To schedule a free consultation with an Indiana car accident attorney, call (219) 286-7361 now.
Do I Need an Uninsured/Underinsured Driver Accident Attorney?
Car accidents are stressful. When it becomes clear that the at-fault driver lacks proper insurance, an accident can become even more complicated and distressing. If you have been involved in an accident with a driver who is uninsured or underinsured, it’s important to seek out an attorney who can maximize your chances at earning fair compensation for your damages.
Depending on your policy, you might be inclined to rely on your insurance provider for compensation. If your policy includes uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, then your insurance company is supposed to provide compensation (up to a certain limit) for an accident that an uninsured driver caused.
Unfortunately, insurance providers will often resist by refusing or low-balling your claim. You may even feel that your insurance company is working against you to disprove the other driver’s negligence. Insurance providers are for-profit companies, and they will do their best to conserve their money.
A skilled car accident attorney will have a deep understanding of car insurance policies and help you navigate the fraught claims process. This will ensure that you don’t leave any loopholes through which your provider can deny a fair claim. If need be, your attorney will also stand up to a powerful insurance company to earn the compensation that your policy merits.
Even if your insurance provider responds fairly to your claim, the payout may not cover all of your accident expenses. Your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will only provide compensation up to a certain limit specified in your policy. The full costs of your accident may exceed this limit.
In this case, you may be able to turn to other sources to achieve financial recovery. These sources may include assets held by the at-fault driver, or a third party who is found liable for the accident. An experienced car accident attorney can determine these possible sources of compensation.
There are multiple roads to compensation, but you should act soon to take advantage of them. There’s a strict deadline known as a statute of limitations you must comply with to recover monetary damages. In Indiana, you will only have two years from the accident date to sue. If you miss this deadline, your case will likely be dismissed.
Why Choose Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers to Handle My Case?
At Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers, we throw ourselves into the work of pursuing fair compensation for those who have been involved in uninsured driver accidents. We understand the pain and difficulty you face in the aftermath of these accidents, and we are committed to assisting our clients on their road to recovery. We are careful and intentional in the cases we choose to take, which means that each case receives the full, individualized attention it needs and deserves.
Our skilled personal injury attorneys have racked up impressive results, as well as distinctions that speak to the quality of our work. In recent years, our attorneys have earned a spot in the National Trial Lawyers Top 100. Our past clients have also provided testimonials that speak to our stellar client service and our honed negotiation and litigation skills.
Although we resolve most of our cases out-of-court, we are also fully prepared to take your case to trial to secure fair compensation. If necessary, we will conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, gathering police reports, driver records, witness statements, and a complete list of your medical bills and expenses resulting from the accident.
We approach each case with deep compassion for our clients and energetic, aggressive legal tactics to maximize the compensation available to them.
Types of Uninsured/Underinsured Driver Accident Cases We Handle
An accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver can take many forms. At Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers, we are prepared to handle a wide range of cases to ensure that our clients do not bear the cost of someone else’s negligence. Here are some of the types of uninsured/underinsured driver accident cases that we handle:
- Hit-and-run accidents — Often, a driver will disappear from the scene of an accident precisely because they do not have insurance. In these cases, you may be entitled to compensation from your insurance provider. With the help of an attorney, you can track down the driver who perpetrated the hit-and-run to pursue additional compensation.
- Rollover accidents — Rollover accidents can be severe and inflict costly injuries as well as property damage. If an uninsured or underinsured driver acted negligently and caused a rollover accident, you may be eligible for compensation from your insurance provider or other parties.
- Rear-end accidents — Rear-end accidents are widespread, resulting in expensive repairs and medical bills. If you were rear-ended by an uninsured driver who was tailgating you or otherwise acting negligently, you might receive compensation for the costs you incurred.
- Drunk driving accidents — If an uninsured driver was drunk or on drugs at the time of your accident, you might be entitled to compensation from your insurance company or other sources. Drinking and driving is an extremely risky, negligent behavior, and so the drunk driver is likely to be found at-fault for these accidents.
- Speeding accidents — Many accidents involve reckless speeding on the part of the at-fault driver. If an uninsured driver was speeding at the time of your crash, they may be found liable, making you eligible for compensation under your insurance policy or from a third party.
Routes to Compensation for Your Uninsured/Underinsured Driver Accident
The resulting costs can feel overwhelming in the aftermath of an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. Luckily, when someone else’s negligence was the cause of the accident, there are multiple sources of compensation open to you.
Here are some of the routes to compensation that your attorney can help you explore:
- Your insurance provider — If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, your insurance company will likely be the first source of compensation you will seek. If your claim is approved, then you may receive compensation for accident expenses up to the limit named in your policy.
- The uninsured/underinsured driver — Even though the other driver in your accident doesn’t have insurance (or doesn’t have sufficient insurance), they may have other assets that can provide compensation. You may be able to draw upon these assets to earn fair compensation for the harm you have suffered.
- A third party — In certain cases, a third party may be held liable for an uninsured driver accident. For example, in a drunk driving case, the bar that provided drinks to the driver may be partially responsible for the accident. In these situations, the third party may be a source of compensation for your expenses.
Pursuing Full Compensation for Your Accident
An uninsured/underinsured driver accident can result in many different expenses. Accordingly, depending on your accident’s details, you may be eligible for different types of compensation. Here are some of the forms of compensation that you may be able to pursue following your accident:
- Medical expenses, including ER visits, surgery costs, ambulance rides, and more
- Property damage, such as car repairs or replacement
- Lost wages, including PTO or sick days you used due to your accident
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Disability damages
- Compensation for pain and suffering you have experienced
Contact Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers
If you have been injured in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, do not hesitate to contact a skilled car accident attorney. Contacting an attorney today rather than next week may make a critical difference in gathering sufficient evidence for your case. With enough proof of the other driver’s negligence, your attorney can help you pursue fair and full compensation for the damage you have incurred.
Even if you are unsure whether your situation merits legal action, you should seek help and advice during this challenging time. Custy Law Firm | Accident & Injury Lawyers offers a free consultation so that all potential clients have a chance to understand the paths they might take toward recovery. To schedule your free case consultation, call (219) 286-7361 today.